It starts with being aware!
Take your time to thoroughly check for bed bugs.
Tips on how to check for bed bugs:
- Remove all the sheets, and stand up the mattress. You absolutely must remove the box spring and flip it over. Inspect the mattress closely, paying close attention to the seams.
- Bedbugs are often found hiding in tack strips under wall-to-wall carpeting and behind baseboards. Bed bugs tend to crawl up, so check drapes and wall decorations.
- Bedbugs can live in the smallest cracks and crevices, typically close to where humans rest and sleep. They can be found behind baseboards, upholstery, and in furniture crevices.
Bed Bug Prevention in high risk areas:
- Mattress covers to keep bugs out can be quite effective.
- Washing clothes in hot water will kill all bugs that may have been brought back in the clothes
- Frequent vacuuming helps to collect any bed bug eggs that may be in the carpets.
If you’re staying in a hotel:
To check for bedbugs, pull back bed sheets and check all the mattress seams, including under the tag. Consider keeping suitcases off the floor, like on a luggage stand. And if you suspect bed bugs, request another room. And tell them to call us!
If you see us at a hotel, you can be assured that management is dealing with their problem adequately. Too many hotels still use ineffective traditional spot treatments (chemical, steam, dust, etc) and end up spreading the bugs to guests and taking far too long to eliminate or never fully eliminating the issue.